Solved

Agent log disk space

• 6 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello!

Are there any best practice to manage agent logs on Windows machines?

Specifically we are interested into best practices to manage the disk space, because we verified that after an year the disk is full and we need to decide which logs can be deleted.

Moreover is there a configuration in the Agent or in the platform that can be set to overwrite past logs.

Thank you,

Lucio 

icon

Best answer by moshe_elias 7 December 2022, 17:54

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Lucio,

In principle we don’t see a need to store a year’s worth of logs. Depending on your cadence of testing either tens of assessments or up to a month of logs should be more than sufficient. 

We are looking into providing a capability to limit disk space for different types of data, including logs, it would be extremely helpful if you can describe your usage of the logs in the past (you can reply privately if you prefer):

1. How often do you access the logs?
  2. Reasons for accessing the logs?
  3. How far back in time have you needed to go in the logs?

Best regards,

Moshe

Badge

Hello Moshe,

I’m sorry I was not clear. We don’t need to keep the logs for an year, I was referring that after one year of usage the host disk space is almost full, mostly of logs.

I wonder if there are best practices for Cymulate agents logs management and if there are setting on the Agent dashboard that can be used to automatically delete logs after a certain time or once a certain disk space is occupied.

By the way, let me answer your questions:

We used the logs to debug some issues related to the assessments in the last 2 months with the support of the Cymulate help desk.

Thank you,

Lucio

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for your kind response Lucio, currently there is no way to automate disk space management for logs but I hope to get something developed that would satisfy this need. I spoke with CS and they estimate that a month retention should be sufficient. Does that make sense to you?  

Badge

Hello Moshee,

yes it would be perfect! 😊 May I ask you if there is an esteem for the release of a new feature like this ?

Thank you,

Lucio

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Lucio,

It was recently implemented in the service based agent, we now retain logs for 15 assessments for every module. 

I hope this helps,

Moshe